[XeTeX] misplaced diacritics in Cyrillic

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Jan 27 18:44:18 CET 2010

Yves Codet wrote:

> I have tested a few fonts to see how well they place diacritics in
> Cyrillic script; my test is attached below: I have combined some
> Cyrillic letters with a few diacritics. Except Code2000, all fonts place
> diacritics too low over capital letters (Dilyana and Lucida Grande
> position the diaeresis correctly though). As I can hardly believe that
> font designers, other than James Kass, forgot that capital letters are
> higher than small letters, I suppose I am missing something obvious. Any
> suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Well ... Of the fonts you list, I have only Arial Unicode MS
and Lucida Grande, but I get significantly different results
from you for the latter.  Would I be correct in thinking that
you are conducting your experiments using an Apple Macintosh ?
I ask because there is a common belief that Lucida Grande does
not render correctly on platforms other than the Apple Macintosh,
and it may perhaps be that the other fonts are biased in the
reverse direction ...

See attached results from Windows/XP.

Philip Taylor