[XeTeX] alphabets in maths and \mathbf

David Cottenden d.cottenden at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Jan 25 15:49:05 CET 2010

Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:15:24PM +1100, Vafa Khalighi wrote:
>
>> I am writing a package for a maths font. Is there anyway that you can just
>> change the font of digits in \mathbf and not the font of aphabets inside \
>> mathbf.
>>
>> To be more clear, if Isay
>>
>> \DeclareMathAlphabet      {\mathbf}{OT1}{cmr}{bx}{n}
>>
>> It will both changes the font of digits and the font of alphabets inside \
>> mathbf command. But I just would like to change the font of digits and not the
>> font of alphabets.
>>
>> Is there any way to achieve this?
>>

> I think Will's unicode-math package (on github) can assign an arbitrary
> font to an arbitrary range of characters, check it.

Not meaning to pre-empt Will's answer, but I think that this currently
doesn't work. On the other hand, if you had a "spare" maths alphabet
then you could do something along these lines:

\DeclareMathSymbol{0}\mathalpha{operators}{"30}
\DeclareMathSymbol{1}\mathalpha{operators}{"31}

etc...

You have to be a bit careful with scaling fonts or maths as a whole with
this, but the approach works well enough that I'm using it in a
maths-heavy PhD thesis against the time when unicode-math is ready for
full scale deployment...

Hope that helps,

David

--