[XeTeX] asterism

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Jan 17 20:08:57 CET 2010

Hi Benct, Khaled, Joel,

On 17/01/2010, at 9:23 PM, Benct Philip Jonsson wrote:

> Khaled Hosny skrev:
>> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 07:56:19PM -0500, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
>

> It seems to me it would be easier to just create a font
> containing just a U+2042 character.  I realize there might
> be a license problem, but asterisks don't look that different
> between fonts; it should be possible to find a suitable free
> font to copy and if needed scale the outline from.

Hmm; I don't think that I can agree with this.
Look at the variation in the attached PDF.

In each line, the first asterism is constructed, whereas the 2nd
(if present) is drawn from the font itself.
The asterisks vary from a 5-pointed star to 8-points (in Code2000).
Furthermore, the spacing between stars in the asterism, and the
overall vertical placement has significant variation.