[XeTeX] Fwd: Re: [texhax] Defining a new font in Plain Tex

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Jan 13 09:28:56 CET 2010

Dear Jonathan and John (copy all) --

John Was wrote:

 > Dear Paul
 >
 > You seem not to have enclosed "Optima" in quotation marks. Does that
 > solve it?
 >
 > John

Many thanks.  The addition of quotation marks does indeed
allow XeTeX to use my installed copy of Optima in Type-1
format.  But (dare I say this ?), the use of quotation
marks to denote a non-TeX font seems more than a little
counter-intuitive to me.  I would expect quotation marks
to be needed around (say) "Palatino Lintotype" because
of the embedded spaces, but to have to use them to denote
a non-TeX font seems to be rather capricious.  I do not
know to what extent XeTeX syntax is yet fixed, but if there
is still the possibility of change then I wonder whether
a more intuitive notation, perhaps along the lines of
the existing slash notation for denoting font variants

	\font \bankgothicit = "Bank Gothic /I" at 10pt

could be considered.  My suggestion would be something like :

	\font \defaultfont = Optima/Type-1 at 20pt

Is this still within the bounds of possibility, or are
all such details already frozen ?

** Phil.