[XeTeX] Font Development

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Fri Jan 8 02:08:27 CET 2010

Vafa,

I don't know much about metafont, but if you want a programming rather
than a graphical approach to font design, both FontForge and FontLab
have powerful scripting capabilities (in Python). George Williams will
very likely add further Python methods to FontForge if you need them.
You might also look into UFO (Unified Font Object), which represents a
font in XML, and RoboFab, which augments the Python scripting of FontLab
and (to a lesser extent) FontForge. For TrueType hints you can either
learn the assembly-like TrueType instruction set or my XML-based
Xgridfit hinting language; FontLab and a Microsoft tool (name?) offer a
graphical way to make TrueType hints.

Peter