[XeTeX] Default settings when making PDF?

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Jan 7 11:28:07 CET 2010

Am Thu, 07 Jan 2010 04:11:05 -0500 schrieb David J. Perry:

> I will be creating a PDF to send to a printer and I want to be sure that I
> get the highest quality possible.  When using tools other than XeTeX, I
> would print to a postscript file and then process the file with Acrobat
> Distiller, which allows one to set various options to control file quality
> (and size).
>
> For this project, I'm using XeTeX (with MiKTeX 2.7).  What defaults does
> XeTeX use when the xdvipdf driver makes the PDF?  Is there any way to
> control file quality?  If the driver automatically makes the best PDF, that
> would be great.  (I could, if necessary, open the file in Acrobat Pro and
> increase compression/reduce file size, but there's no way to get higher
> quality than what is originally created.)

You can pass options during compilation to xdvipdfmx with
xelatex --output-driver="xdvipdfmx ..." file

You can get the list of options with
xdvipdfmx --help

xdvipdfmx also use dvipdfmx.cfg which you find in dvidpfm\config. If
you make a local copy of dvidpfmx.cfg (with initexmf
--edit-config-file dvipdfmx) it is perhaps not enough to add only
the changed setting to this local copy,  you will perhaps have to
copy the complete content of the original file to the local file and
then change what you want.

--
Ulrike Fischer