[XeTeX] Devanagari rendering with XeTeX - a comparision

Deepak Jois deepak.jois at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 22:45:32 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:

> The primary issue isn't the platform or the ICU or Uniscribe version, it is the font.
>
> JK

Thanks. I did get better results with the Sanskrit 2003 OpenType font
that I found out about from Yves Codet's reply.

I also did some quick research regarding 'Professional' Devangari fonts:

* There arent many. Out of the three font foundries Jonathan
mentioned, only Monotype has a list of fonts for Devanagari[1].

* There is a relatively new font called Fedra Sans Hindi, which won
some European Design Award. There is an interesting discussion on
Typophile[2] about it. However, none of the fonts on Monotype or Fedra
Sans Hindi are mentioned in the most comprehensive list of Devanagari
fonts[3] I have found on the web so far.

* The thread on Typophile mentions this company called Modular
Infotech, which claims to have lots of OpenType fonts[4], but apart
from a sample PDF catalog dating back to Jan 2004, I cannot find any
place they are selling the fonts online.

Please let me know if you have any additional information about
Devangari font foundries, and professional Devangari fonts.

Thanks
Deepak

[1] www.monotypefonts.com/Library/Non-Latin-Library.asp?show=sample&lan=devanagari
[2] http://typophile.com/node/61686