[XeTeX] Xenotype font and Syriac scripting

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 4 20:30:22 CET 2010

On 4 Jan 2010, at 17:51, Khaled Hosny wrote:

> Well this sounds like a bizarre font to me, mixed incomplete OpenTypr
> (GPOS but no GSUB so substitutions won't work),

This does seem odd....

> and AAT (morx, prop,
> kern?),

...though it's OK, at least in theory, to have both OT and AAT technologies in the same font.

> my guess it that XeTeX is chosing OpenType over AAT but as the
> former is incomplete, the rendering is broken, but then shouldn't
> Renderer=AAT force it?

What I *think* should work is to specify Renderer=AAT, and NOT specify Script=Syriac (which may override the Renderer option and prompt fontspec to pick ICU, as script tags are OpenType-specific).

Fr. Michael, if that still doesn't work, get back to me and I'll see if I can think what else to try.