[XeTeX] Xenotype font and Syriac scripting

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Mon Jan 4 16:29:36 CET 2010

Dear All:

Recently, through someone's generosity, we were given Xenotype fonts for
Syriac. They will actually script on Mac OS 10.4.11 in any app, AFAIK. I
tried them in TeXShop and they script just fine --- as opposed to the
melthofonts which will *not* script on Mac at the input level.

Using the melthofonts before (available from bethmardutho.org ) to
compile via XeLaTeX was inconvenient since it was hard to read
unscripted while entering the text, but the output was fine. But with
Xenotype, the font scripts fine in TeXShop ... but *not* in the output PDF!

> \newfontfamily\syriacfont[Scale=1.5,Script=Syriac]{XenoTypeSYDarmasuq}

I receive the warning:

> Package fontspec Warning:
>     Font "XenoType SY Darmasuq/ICU" does not contain script 'Syriac'

which is confirmed by:

> otfinfo -s XenoTypeSYDarmasuq.ttf
> latn            Latin

It doesn't contain a Syriac script. Is that weird? It scripts in the
app, but not via fontspec.

The author of the font told me:

> This could be the result of a font embedding bit being set...we
> removed the ability to embed our fonts in PDF files as an
> (unsuccessful) measure to curb some piracy issues. It may still be set
> in this version of the font. If so, I can unset it and we'll see if
> that has any impact.

Until I hear from him, any ideas or suggestios?

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma

Most Holy Trinity Monastery