[XeTeX] Odd Problem solved with XeLaTeX

graham telfer gakousei53 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 3 03:28:23 CET 2010

Hi,

I recently installed MikTeX version 2.8 in full but could get XeTeX or XeLaTeX to work with any editor or running from the command line.

I tried a basic preamble using geometry and with Memoir. In all cases I got the same error message Invalid Paper Size: 0bp 0bp 0bp. Nothing worked and I uninstalled MikTeX.

This morning I downloaded the Basic setup again and ran the test preamble using Memoir and TeXWorks as the editor. Of course Memoir was not installed with the basic setup and so the compilation in TeXworks stopped and MikTeX asked permission to download the package. After it finished TeXWorks continued compiling the document.

It was successful. XeLaTex compiled correctly and I got a PDF document with the selected font of Georgia. I reran with Gentium and it worked as well.

My question is what happened before, when I had installed the full MikTeX and XeLatex failed? Is there some kind of subtle bug?