[XeTeX] XETEX and Lilypond

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sun Feb 28 21:23:22 CET 2010

Raphael Frey wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I’m a musician and I often have to write documents including notes.
> Since a while now I use Lilypond and LATEX for this purpose but I’d like
> to change to XETEX because of the Open Type support. (I’m a typography
> enthusiast and my preferred free font Linux Libertine has some features
> [1] that cannot be accessed by LATEX.) Unfortunately lilypond-book
> doesn’t work with files including XETEX source code. While looking for
> some tutorials or informations on the Internet I came across this short
> “tutorial” [2] in the archive of this mailing list. The technique
> described there – separating the header from the rest of the document
> (“main text”) – does’t seem to be a problem for lilypond-book – although
> the content of the header file plus the content of the “main text” file
> is identical to the single file where lilypond-book doesn’t work, what I
> don’t understand. However there’s something wrong with the PDF file
> generated by XETEX (respectively xelatex): the (virtual) box with the
> notes doesn’t stop at the right page margin (see attached files). I also
> wonder why lilypond-book works with a separate header and a “main text”
> file but not with one single file including the whole source text.
>
> The attached file test.tex is a simple LATEX file that works without any
> problems. The two separated files I’d like to use with XETEX are
> headers.tex and document.tex; they are nearly identical to test.tex. The
> last document, headers.pdf, shows what I get when executing:
>
> lilypond-book --output=out/ --pdf headers.tex
> cd out
> xelatex headers.tex

Hi Raphael:

Here's a sample of your original = document.tex with a couple changes
(using the ifxetex package, etc --- change the fonts to suit your
needs). Also attached is an engine you can run via TeXShop if you're on
Mac (copy it to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ and it should appear in the
drop down box for engines ... or you can use the preliminary %!TEX
TS-program =  Lilypond-XeLaTeX line as in the included file). Otherwise,
just use the lilypond-book as you have learned and it will do as you need.

You might have to look into the engine file to set the path to your
Lilypond.app.

HTH.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,