[XeTeX] Polyglossia ancientgreek hyphenation

Robert Leigh ral212 at ex.ac.uk
Thu Feb 25 22:43:04 CET 2010

I have a question which has been asked and answered on this list -
http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2009-May/013081.html - but the answer
doesn't work.

Polyglossia can't see ancient greek hyphenation files. I have ticked the
ancientgreek language box in Miktex 2.8 settings where it says that the
hyphenation file is loadhyph-grc.tex. There is a file called that in
C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.8\tex\generic\hyph-utf8\loadhyph. I have a file
called gloss-greek.ldf in C:\Documents and Settings\MYNAME\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.8\tex\xelatex\polyglossia but no file gloss-ancientgreek.ldf

If I ask for {ancientgreek} I get an error message as below and the code
dores not compile.. If I change this to {greek} I get a different set of
error messages (2nd example below) but the code does then compile and I get
a pdf which looks fine.

CODE

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\setdefaultlanguage{ancientgreek}

\setotherlanguage{english}

WARNING

Package polyglossia Warning: File gloss-ancientgreek.ldf does not exist!

 I will nevertheless try to use hyphenation patterns for ancientgreek. on
input

 line 10.

! Missing number, treated as zero.

<to be read again>

                   \l at ancientgreek

l.10 \setdefaultlanguage{ancientgreek}

?

CODE

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\setdefaultlanguage{greek}

\setotherlanguage{english}

WARNING

Package polyglossia Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
Monotonic

Greek

(polyglossia)                I will use the patterns loaded for
\l at greekinstead

 on input line 326.

Package polyglossia Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for Ancient
Gr

eek

(polyglossia)                I will use the patterns loaded for
\l at greekinstead

 on input line 331.