[XeTeX] Package Bidi Error

Vafa Khalighi vafa at users.berlios.de
Sat Feb 20 08:41:32 CET 2010

> However with test-polyglossia-arabxetex.tex (where I load arabxetex.sty and
> polyglossia.sty) I get the error that is irrelevant to bidi package; it is
> because both defines \Arabic, the error message that I get is:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Command \Arabic already defined.
>
> Or name \end... illegal, see p.192 of the manual.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
>
> Type H <return> for immediate help.

>  l.6 \setotherlanguage{arabic}
>
>  ?

I can confirm this.

footnote number 7 on page 5 of arabxetex documentation says:

"Since the command \arabic is already defined in LATEX, we chose the
environment arab and the
command \textarab instead, but the equivalent environment Arabic and the
command \textarabic
are also available."

Which means it defines \Arabic and \endArabic.

Also on page 5 , section 3 of polyglossia documentation, we have:

"Note that for Arabic one cannot use the environment arabic, as \arabic is
defined internally by LTEX. In this case we need to use the environment
Arabic
nstead."

Now

--