[XeTeX] Segmentation fault error in xdvipdfmx 0.7.8 with CharisSIL 4.106

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 14 18:56:06 CET 2010

On 13 Feb 2010, at 23:50, Mike Maxwell wrote:

> Jonathan Kew wrote:
>> As for xdvipdfmx, I just downloaded the TL'09 .iso, and confirmed that it has v0.7.8, as shown by xdvipdfmx -h:
>>  $ /Volumes/TeXLive2009/bin/universal-darwin/xdvipdfmx -h
>>  This is xdvipdfmx-0.7.8 by Jonathan Kew and Jin-Hwan Cho,
>>  an extended version of DVIPDFMx, which in turn was
>>  an extended version of dvipdfm-0.13.2c developed by Mark A. Wicks.
>
> OK, I downloaded the .iso.xz, and did all the good stuff to it.  I found the problem.  The i386-linux version (32-bit) is indeed v0.7.8 (dated 2 October 09).  HOWEVER, the 64-bit Linux version in bin/x86-64-linux/ is the old v0.7.7 dating from 18 Sept 09.

Aha, that's interesting. But harmless. It means the 64-bit Linux binaries were not rebuilt when that last-minute xdvipdfmx change was made, but that's OK because it wouldn't have affected them (except for the version number).

> And for some reason that's the only directory under texlive/2009/bin/ in our installation.  I guess there must have been some option when we installed it to choose the 64-bit versions of everything.  If that's the case, maybe I can persuade our systems folks to do a re-installation, making the 32-bit versions visible too.
>
> OTOH, any chance of making a new 64-bit version of xdvipdfmx available?

It shouldn't matter - AFAIR, the 0.7.8 update only affected the actual code on Mac OS X. (I wasn't clear what platform you're using, but regardless, I don't think this is relevant to this problem.)