[XeTeX] get xetex to use best fonts

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Feb 11 09:15:10 CET 2010

Am Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:53:28 +0100 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

>> How can I force xetex, fontspec, and/or mnsymbol to use the better
>> versions?
>
> Make the non-Unicode encoded fonts unknown to XeTeX!
>
> XeTeX (and fontspec) get the fonts needed via the system's "font
> service" while TeX locates them via a lookup in "hash" files which
> just reflect the state of directories in a particular corner of the
> disk, the TeX distribution's place of installation. TeX does not need
> to know the TTF and UTF font files, and XeTeX does not need to know
> which old PostScript font files are on the disk.

Well it is not so easy. pdflatex can use ttf-open-types-fonts and -
at least in miktex - it is able to find them in the standard fonts
folder C:\windows\fonts.

On the other side xetex needs to be able to find some of the
type1-fonts which resides normaly in the texmf-trees.

Separating the locations would meen that you have to duplicate all
fonts which xetex and pdftex can use in the system folder and the
texmf tree.

It would be certainly better if -- as has been discussed sometimes
-- it would be possible to tell xetex to prefer opentypes over
type1.

--
Ulrike Fischer