[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Thu Feb 4 22:54:41 CET 2010

Thanks to François Charette and Michiel Kamermans for sharing their
code. I'll look forward to studying their examples and learning
something from them.

Meanwhile, I've updated my own script. It can't read font files as fast
as François's, but thanks to FontForge's support for many formats of
outline font, it's pretty universal. It's happy to index TTF, OTF, TTC,
PFB and PFA fonts. If the installed version of FontForge is recent
enough (built Sept. 2009 or later), it will supply Unicode encodings for
PFB and PFA fonts when possible; and of course you can search by glyph
name as well. Once an index is built, a search takes 1 to 4 seconds
(depending largely on whether the index is compressed).

It's got an option to exclude a font from a search or from an indexing
operation (so Chris doesn't have to index the Unifont over and over!);
it will also delete fonts from the index.

Indexes for the new version are much smaller than for the old. Any
operation on the index (aside from just reading it) causes it to be
updated to the new, smaller format. Convert the index without doing
anything else by running

fontswith --build-index --exclude=*

It's here: http://faculty.virginia.edu/OldEnglish/fontswith/fontswith.zip

Peter