[XeTeX] Low-level diagnostic ("fwrite") generated by XeTeX

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Feb 2 19:59:38 CET 2010

Khaled Hosny wrote:

> Since, AFAIK, Adobe Reader doesn't change files (it is a reader not
> writer), it shouldn't lock the file in the first place. This what other
> document viewers (Evince here) does, actually it also recognize that the
> file has been updated and reload it.

Although I have some understandable sympathy with this perspective,
I should just clarify that the file was open in <stress>Adobe
Acrobat</>, not Acrobat Reader, so it is quite understandable
that the former should lock the file as it is potentially
modifiable by the application.  But as I said in my earlier
response to Ross, I don't think this is the issue : XeTeX,
as Jonathan had already agreed, should be more robust when
encountering such an error and not fall back on a low-level
diagnostic.

** Phil.