[XeTeX] Low-level diagnostic ("fwrite") generated by XeTeX

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Feb 2 19:41:44 CET 2010

Ross Moore wrote:
> concerning "fwrite" :
>
> Surely this is just a normal function of how the operating
> system works, to maintain integrity of the file-system.
> That is, preventing 2 different applications from the
> possibility of making incompatible changes to the same file.

Oh yes, I am not concerned that XeTeX does not
know how to close the PDF; only that it fails
to detect that it is open, and fails with a low-
level error rather than with a XeTeX diagnostic.

>> Hmmm.... I guess the output driver (xdvipdfmx) is complaining that it
>> can't open its output file (because Acrobat has it locked), and
>> quitting - and then xetex fails when trying to send data to it.
>> Obviously this situation needs some better error handling.

> To me this is an issue for the human user to handle, not for
> the driver software to try to solve. After all, that is what
> front-ends are for.

No, I would agree with Jonathan here : "this situation needs
some better error handling" seems a perfect summary of the
situation.

* Phil.