[XeTeX] Low-level diagnostic ("fwrite") generated by XeTeX

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Tue Feb 2 23:25:44 CET 2010

What you said would be correct if Adobe Reader read the entire file into
memory. I assume it does not always do this. If it reads only part of
the file, and another app modified the file, disaster would ensue.

One way around this is to write a script that takes the file it is
passed and copies it to the temp directory and then opens Acrobat Reader
on the copy. You can then call this script whenever you would have
called Acrobat Reader. The original file will be locked only while it is
being copied.

Your temp directory will eventually get a lot of garbage in it, but the
script could check if files are locked and, if not, delete them (the
unlocked copies). Or, you can just occasionally clean out the temp
directory.

--Barry MacKichan