[XeTeX] Decorative border around page

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Mon Feb 1 15:35:03 CET 2010

Kamal Abdali wrote:

> Can any one point me to some sample TeX/LaTeX/XeTeX code for drawing
> decorative borders around pages in a document?
>
> An example of what I would like is Item 4 in "XeTeX Showcase"
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/src/Demos/XeTeX-showcase/.
>
> The direct link to the output is
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/src/Demos/XeTeX-showcase/hno-sample.pdf

Hi Kamal:

I didn't look at the examples yet, but here's something that Rolf
Niepraschk sent to me a while back (he often contributes to the
comp.text.tex list) that works with LaTeX:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[dvipsnames,prologue]{xcolor}
\usepackage{pst-pdf,varwidth,umrand}

\pagecolor{LimeGreen}

\providecommand\webofamily{\usefont{U}{webo}{xl}{n}}
\newsavebox\ornamentBox

\begin{document}

\sbox\ornamentBox{%
\begin{varwidth}{.5\textwidth}
  \Huge\LaTeX{} \LaTeX{} \LaTeX{} \LaTeX{}
\end{varwidth}
}

\begin{postscript}
  \colorbox{LimeGreen}{%
    \RandBox{\usebox{\ornamentBox}} font {\webofamily} [0.0em]
        (a) ([f\\g]f) (b)
        ([\hspace{.03ex}\rotatebox{-180}{j}\\\rotatebox{-180}{k}])
        ([\rotatebox{-180}{i}\\\hspace{.03ex}\rotatebox{-180}{l}])
        (a) ([f\\g]f) (b)}
\end{postscript}

\end{document}

He suggests going about it this way with LaTeX:

latex result.tex
dvips result.dvi -o result-picture.ps
ps2pdf result-picture.ps

It may be that using pdflatex won't work correctly for this, for some
reason I can't remember.

I think CTAN has the webomints font and samples to download, IIRC. I
think you'll also want the umrand package, which AFAICT /doesn't/ come
with TL09. Attached is something I did last year as a souvenir card. I
was able to do it with XeLaTeX --- although I can't say I remember much,
but you can noodle with the source and see what happens.

HTH.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma