[XeTeX] Finding out if a font supports a particular Unicode character and using it
cjns1989 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 00:27:22 CET 2010
On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 06:10:21PM EST, Peter Baker wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
> One more thought: when I was writing the script, there was a point
> when I had forgotten to call close() on the fonts I had opened. Of
> course the script quickly gobbled up all the memory and frotzed the
> machine! Presumably you're running into some kind of severe memory
> leak, the memory for the fonts not getting released. But it could be
> either Python or FontForge.
> How old is your copy of FontForge?
$ fontforge -version
Copyright (c) 2000-2008 by George Williams.
Executable based on sources from 00:29 GMT 29-Apr-2008.
Library based on sources from 20:49 GMT 30-Apr-2008.
But I'm only indexing one font, and the script appears to grab a huge
chunk of memory at startup: when I did a 'ulimit -v 128000' which should
be roughly 128 Meg, it borked right at the beginning, not like a memory
leak that builds up over time.
That's why I was thinking there might be some obscure python option that
causes this with 2.5 and maybe got fixed with 2.6.
The only thing I have been able to ascertain is that it seems to be
related to the size of the fontfile: works fine with 300K files for
But since the machines freezes up when problem occurs, it's difficult to
run tentative tests to try and narrow it down a bit.
Thanks for your patience, I'm not sure where I can go from there.
More information about the XeTeX