[XeTeX] Fontspec mappings causing errors in ToC/chapter-headings in memoir class documents

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 17:38:11 CET 2010

> Thats why गङ्गे is read as Ganges (गन्जिस)

This has nothing to do with contemporary systems of transliteration, and
everything to do with historical phonology and language interaction from the
17th onwards (see the OED).

Reading Sanskrit from Latin transliteration can be a problem, but needn't
be.  It just depends on how well the students are taught.  My students move
between scripts comfortably, and their pronunciation is quite good.   Some
of the most incomprehensible Sanskrit pronunciation I've ever heard has been
by pandits from Bengal, where Bengali-language pronunciation of vowels,
sibilants and some other consonants (j), is very hard for non-Bengalis to
decipher.  This again has little to do with script, but is a phonological
phenomenon.

DW