[XeTeX] What kind of effect is that?

Vadim Radionov vadim.radionov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:25:42 CET 2010

Hi, Peter,

I made several tests:

I tried several drivers that go with Ubuntu 10.4, accessing the
printer over LAN and connected directly to my laptop. (The best for
this document was "HP LaserJet 2300 Foomatic/Postscript".)  The effect
depends mostly on the resolution set when printing -- the effect
clearly happen with 600 dpi and 1200 dpi fast-res, and with true 1200
dpi it is either absent or become too small for me to tell.

I also tried HP 1020 (probably no effect) and Epson Photosmart D5300
at home where I also cannot tell if is present or not.

I'm not quite sure about the methods CUPS use to convert pdf to ps.
I also tried to print this pdf from Acroread on Windows computer --
the effect take place.  (But not with rtf files using the same font.)

My printer is this one:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06a/18972-236251-236263-14638-f51-238800.html;
they say it has PostScript 3 Emulation.

I suppose the document and applications use the font embedded in this
pdf, which is Newton (http://paratype.ru/pstore/fonts/Newton.htm).

Vadim