[XeTeX] installing mac font on linux

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Sun Dec 12 19:12:36 CET 2010

On 12/12/2010 9:56 AM, Tim Arnold wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de
> <mailto:Peter_Dyballa at web.de>> wrote:
>

>     Am 12.12.2010 um 00:21 schrieb Tim Arnold:
>

>         I suppose there's no way to convert to TrueType?
>

>     There is: FontForge. (Usually your commercial font license does
>     not allow this...)
>
>     There are free handwriting fonts on the internet, it's also
>     possible that Lucida Handwriting exists in True- or OpenType format...
>
>     --
>     Greetings
>
>      Pete
>
> I can buy the font again, no problem, but it does work on my mac with
> xelatex so I'm just confused. I open the font in fontbook and export
> the font; tar/gzip the resulting directory and transfer to linux.
>  Maybe fontbook's export converts it from a xelatex-readable format to
> one thats not.
>
> If no one has any other ideas, I'll buy the font again and hope for
> the best.

You may have to do this anyway, since you're not actually allowed to
format-convert it.

Even though it's possible to use font forge to convert your font to
being suitable for a modern engine (type 1 has been completely replaced
by type 2 fonts, in OTF wrappers - adobe has updated all their fonts to
type 2 at this point, and they invented type 1), you're not actually to
do so.

Depending on how long ago you bought it, you might be able to convince
the seller to give you a ttf/otf version, since type1 is mostly for use
on legacy systems.

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com