[XeTeX] installing mac font on linux

Tim Arnold jtim.arnold at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 01:52:30 CET 2010

Hi,
I have a font on my mac that I'm trying to install on a linux web server.
 The font on the mac has the following files:
LucidHanTIta.scr  ulhi8a  ulhi8a.afm  ulhi8a.pfb  ulhi8a.tfm

I tarred them up and put them on the web server in my ~/.fonts directory
(this is a shared server, so I have to install the font locally). That isn't
working however. That is, with this file:
========================
\documentclass[11pt]{memoir}
 \usepackage{fontspec}
 \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text,Ligatures={Common}]{ulh}

\begin{document}

\noindent fi fl ff ffi ffl\\
\textit{fi fl ff ffi ffl}

\end{document}
========================

I get this result:

========================
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input
ulh' failed to make ulh.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font \zf at basefont=ulh at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or
installed
font not found.
<to be read again>
                   \scan_stop:
l.3 ...t[Mapping=tex-text,Ligatures={Common}]{ulh}

I tried different values for the \setmainfont command (Lucida,
LucidHanTita), but always the same result.

Thanks for any help or pointers you can provide,
--Tim Arnold