[XeTeX] Hyphenation rules problem in my french document

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sun Dec 5 04:41:28 CET 2010

Hello Maxim,

On 05/12/2010, at 9:56 AM, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:

>>   \addto\extrasfrench{\lccode"2019=`\' }
>>
> Enrico, this indeed works too! I'm just wondering about the weird quotes needed here. Seems like \lccode keeps an associative table of symbols,
> and 2019 would be the unicode character to be redefined. Are the first " (double quote) and last '\ characters always required when using
> the \lccode macro? (so " would indicate start of redefinition and \' indicates en of it?).

Not at all.
These are just different ways of specifying a number.

  "2019   means Hexadecimal digits follow the "
(i.e., decimal 8217 )

  `\'  means the number corresponding to the character code of an ASCII '
(i.e., decimal 39 )

Thus the effect would be that, within a french environment
  {\lowercase{’}}
would produce the same result as
  {'} .
(assuming here that ' has not been made an active character).

If ' is active, then the results are not the same, but
\lowercase{’} would now be a way to get the non-active ' .

> Also, the suggestion from Andréa Loyer of adding a
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>  directive to my test document:
>
>> From: "Andréa Loyer" <andrea.loyer at crans.org>
>> I think the problem was lying in the need of an \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}needed by babel to correctly deal with accentuated words and probably words with elided article.
>>
>> But well polyglossia in anyway more adapted if you are using xetex.
>>
>> --
>> D.
> also results in the correct hyphenation of the l'oscilloscope word in my test document when using Babel.
>
> Thanks both for the advices. I'll keep this information for when I ever have problems related with hyphenation with Polyglossia! Now I just need to find an efficient
> way to input the required unicode characters « » directly from Emacs.
>
> Maxim

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au