[XeTeX] supplying missing glyphs?

David J. Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Fri Dec 3 03:26:18 CET 2010

In addition to the fonts Herb suggested, Junicode, Gentium, Charis SIL and
Times New Roman (the latter being the version supplied with my Windows Vista
system) have all these characters.  They are all precomposed combinations
that are defined in Unicode, so it's not surprising that many fonts with
large character repertoires include them.  I'm sure that Lucida Grande (Mac)
and Arial do also, and there are undoubtedly others.

If you are absolutely wedded to Hoefler Text, you can get the combinations
that this font does not contain as follows: enter the base character
followed by a combining mark.  Then kern the combining mark backwards
(negative kerning value); if necessary, you can raise it with the raisebox
command.  This sort of thing is a huge nuisance (but you did ask . . . )

David