[XeTeX] XeTeX documentation? (from "Checking if a font exists")

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Tue Aug 31 09:11:30 CEST 2010

Hi Wilfred,

I know the missing-manual problem all too well (I work at a research lab)...

> I agree that it would be better if a developer (or developing team)
> releases a proper manual. But indeed the open source model is such
> that __anybody__ can write a manual if you really want to.

And I fully appreciate that. But the question was *are* there such
manuals that anyone knows of. Responses in the sympathy of "good luck
finding one" or "write your own!" is equally frustratingly often
encountered, and it's just not useful. After hearing it a million times,
it just makes you want to stab someone in the face for not just adding a
courtesy "I don't know of one, although someone else on the list/in the
group/at the conference might" =)

The problem with "writing your own" is that typically the reason you
need a manual is because you don't know what the thing can do, and
unless someone intimately familiar with it can help you write that
manual, it's not going to be a manual at all. It's going to be a "my
experience with this program, and most of it was just bumbling around so
what I'm telling you cannot even be interpreted as the correct way to do
things". Not a fan of those =D

- Mike