[XeTeX] misplaced diacritical marks

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Tue Aug 31 03:36:25 CEST 2010

Alexander Schulthei wrote:

> Does xelatex honor anchors in GPOS tables of otf/ttf fonts? If I try
> to place, say, a macron above an 'a' as well as a dot below it one of
> the two diacritical marks is always misplaced; depending on the oder
> of xelatex commands:
>
> \d{\={a}} dot misplaced
> \={\d{a}} macron misplaced

This has been treated before (but I forget when on this list) --- you
can achieve what I think you desire with this definition in your preamble:

%put accent (or whatever) over glyph
\def\overstrike#1#2{\leavevmode
   \setbox0=\hbox{#1}\setbox1=\hbox{#2}\copy0
   \kern -0.5\wd0 \kern -0.5\wd1 \copy1 \kern -0.5\wd1 \kern 0.5\wd0}

And then here's an example in the document:

\overstrike{\d{a}}{¯}

HTH.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,