[XeTeX] xunicode, tipa (again) plus amsmath

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Sun Aug 29 20:48:44 CEST 2010

On Aug 29, 2010, at 2:18 PM, George N. White III wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Alan Munn <amunn at gmx.com> wrote:
>> Hi, a while ago, Ulrike posted an nice way to allow legacy tipa
>> code to be
>> used with xelatex.  Unfortunately I've encountered a problem: it
>> doesn't
>> work inside math mode.  Is there a way to fix this?  Thanks
>
> I use \mbox{} for text in maths mode, and \mbox use the text
> encoding of
> the "surrounding" text, so try:
>
> \begin{ipa}
> $\mbox{RPAQIOE2}$
> \end{ipa}

Thanks,  that works inside an ipa environment, but

$\mbox{\textipa{RPAQIOE2}}$

still doesn't.  (And since I'm trying to reuse legacy code, I'd like
not to have to hand modify all my source.) Because generally the math
code will not be inside an ipa environment but will be within a
regular text environment, but will include embedded ipa characters.

Alan