[XeTeX] RTL hyperlink problems

Vafa Khalighi vafakhlgh at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 10:38:35 CEST 2010

I can think of a way to fix this and that is making \beginspecial and \endspecial primitive in XeTeX which is actually borrowed from TeX-e-Parsi.

The primitives \beginspecial and \endspecial are defined because when
\special's range is more than a line in a paragraph and end of it, is in the
middle of another line (e.g. when 1.5 lines of a paragraph is coloured), the
coloured range in RTL will not be what we expect and  this is because of the
paragraph scan towards the lines which are adjusted from left. With these
two primitives (\beginspecial and \endspecial) paragraph scan algorithm can
colour the range of each line that was intended to be coloured and as a
consequent the problem will disappear.

\beginspecial has two arguments, one of the argument is about the start of
special and the other argument is about the end of special \endspecial does
not have any arguments and its argument is the second argument of
\beginspecial. So in your example \beginspecial and \endspecial would be
used in the following way:

preceding text \b‌e‌g‌i‌n‌s‌p‌e‌c‌i‌a‌l{c‌o‌l‌o‌r p‌u‌s‌h r‌g‌b 1 0
0}{c‌o‌l‌o‌r p‌o‌p} r‌e‌d a‌n‌d m‌o‌r‌e  r‌e‌d  \e‌n‌d‌s‌p‌e‌c‌i‌a‌l
‌fo‌l‌l‌o‌w‌i‌n‌g t‌e‌x‌t w‌o‌u‌l‌d w‌o‌r‌k l‌i‌k‌e y‌o‌u‌r example

Therefore in the lines scan algorithm, in the end of each line, the argument
of \endspecial (second argument of \beginspecial) and in the  beginning of
next line, the argument of \beginspecial (first argument) will be added.

You may be able to do this with macro programming but when I wanted to do this, people told me that doing this with macro (changing line breaking algorithm) would definitely has some side effects.