[XeTeX] RTL hyperlink problems

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Fri Aug 20 14:20:52 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 09:09:31AM +0300, Ron Aaron wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 August 2010 23:06:02 Ron Aaron wrote:
> > Using xetex I found that the 'hyperref' package did not product attractive links in PDF, so I had to write my own PDF link code:
>
> This seems to be specifically a "dvipdfmx" problem, as using "etex" on the sample  I gave, followed by "dvipdfmx" produces precisely the same problem.

It is actually related to the way TeX--XeT RTL extension of e-TeX (which
XeTeX inherited) works, as explained in the previous message. The DVI
driver have nothing to do with that (you will get the same with dvips,
xdvi or any other DVI driver), since the re-ordering is done by the
engine.

Generally speaking, the TeX--XeT extension have many shortcomings, this
is one of them. I find Omega's multidirectional capabilities far
superior, though it has always been buggy, fortunately most of that has
been cleaned in LuaTeX and is much more reliable now. (this and lua are
the two main reasons I switched to LuaTeX, after many failed attempts to
get my Arabic book typeset in XeTeX).

Regards,
 Khaled

--