[XeTeX] OldStyle symbols with Hoefler Text?

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Thu Aug 19 16:51:11 CEST 2010

On Aug 18, 2010, at 1:44 PM, chagrins wrote:

> With Adobe Garamond Pro, when I use
>
> \defaultfontfeatures{Numbers={Proportional,OldStyle}}
>
> ...it also outputs "lowercase" symbols - for example, the dollar sign
> matches the numbers.
>
> However, in Hoefler Text, I can't get the symbols to match the numbers
> - I always get the capital dollar sign.

That's because Hoefler Text doesn't have a lower case $ sign.

> I can manually select the lowercase dollar sign in Hoefler Text using
> Pages, through "Glyph Variants" in the typography panel.

Then I suspect that Pages must be faking it somehow. (I couldn't check
this with Pages, but with InDesign, no lower case $ shows up in the
Glyphs table.)

> This seems like it could be a problem with the buggy version of
> Hoefler Text in Mac OS X, but is there a way to manually select the
> lowercase dollar sign glyph as a workaround?

You could also fake it.  Something like:

\newcommand{\sdol}{{\addfontfeature{Scale=.75}\$}}

or (if you've got a lot of \$, but are only using the one font)

\let\olddol\$
\renewcommand{\$}{{\addfontfeature{Scale=.75}\olddol}}

Note that this solution will also scale \$ in any other font, which
may not be desirable.

Alan

--
Alan Munn