[XeTeX] Combined sub- and superscript

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sat Aug 7 20:55:03 CEST 2010

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 08:35:54PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 07.08.2010 um 13:49 schrieb Sebastian Gerecke:
>
> >No, that does not help.
>

> And when you additionally use
>
> 	\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
>
> instead?

Sorry, but I fail to see how "Mapping=tex-text" would make any
difference here.

I'm replying ti this because I'm afraid there is mystery developed
around "Mapping=tex-text" where people are thinking it can do every
thing and solve any problem :) (I attribute this to the mysterious
name, I always wondered what a heck tex-text is, I even used to
mistype it).

Just to explain, all what tex-text does is mapping some common ASCII
character sequences that trigger special ligatures in Computer Modern
fonts, to their proper Unicode equivalents. Namely, --, ---, ', `, ``,
'', !`, ?`, >>, <<, and ,,. Nothing more, nothing less.

For this very reason, I advice every one to use and advocate the new
fontspec option, "Ligatures=TeX", which I hope will decrease the amount
of confusion (I still think it is mysterious).

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny