[XeTeX] [lltx] fontspec and xunicode

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Aug 5 14:05:29 CEST 2010

Le 05/08/2010 09:13, Will Robertson a écrit :
> Quick message to say that the new version of fontspec (v2.1) on GitHub now
> loads xunicode directly, and references to xunicode been removed entirely
> from euenc. If necessary, Khaled can release fontspec & euenc to CTAN while
> I'm away for the next couple of weeks, but otherwise if all is well I'll send
> it into CTAN when I get back.

I think it's fine not to release before you're back, I see no hurry there, and
you probably don't want to revisit the whole build process now.

> fontspec loads xunicode even while running on XeLaTeX; this is slightly
> incompatible with previous behaviour but I don't think it would actually
> cause any problems. This will mean that xltxtra is well and truly deprecated
> (and \usepackage{fontspec} is all that is recommended for new XeLaTeX
> documents); I've just sent "realscripts" into CTAN to replicate its "use
> OpenType superscripts in footnotes" for those who want it in LuaLaTeX or
> XeLaTeX-without-xltxtra.

Good news.

> Justification for the changes above: forking xunicode for LuaLaTeX wasn't the
> best idea for maintenance issues, but then a wrapper had to be written around
> xunicode for LuaLaTeX support (i.e., it couldn't be loaded directly). I
> didn't want different behaviour, if possible, in XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX, so
>
> Please discuss while I'm away, if necessary. Happy to resolve the situation
> in another way if that would be better.

Sounds like the best solution to me, both for maintenance and for the user.
Thanks for making that move.

I concur with Ulrike: it would be even greater to (re-)load xunicode at the
right moment in fontspec if it has been loaded before. I guess you can force
reloading by \relax-ing \csname ver at xunicode.sty\endcsname.

Manuel.