[XeTeX] Table of contents

Philiрp Rеichmuth phil.ipp.reich.muth at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 14:31:59 CEST 2010

Am Fri, 30 Apr 2010 11:54:59 +0100 schrieb José Carlos Santos:
> I have participated in discussions both on newsgroups and on mailing
> lists for ten years and I don't remember having ever been so attacked as
> now.

Sometimes people can be a bit abrasive. This are normally what gives IT a
bad name. Try not to care too much, it's a waste of your time.

That said: \XeTeXinputencoding works on the current file from the line
after the statement onwards, \XeTeXdefaultencoding works on all other
included files.

>From what I understand, you want to keep the included files with your
chapters in CP1252. Are you absolutely forced to keep them in an 8-bit
encoding rather than UTF-8?  (There may be any number of reasons for this
to be so, for example if you have to use other tools that are 8-bit only -
this is not exactly rare in the TeX world, BibTeX comes to mind, and if
you're near the end of a larger book project you may not have a replacement
available or be willing to change your toolchain.)

If you have to keep them in CP1252, it seems to me that the easiest way to
accomplish this is to put a \XeTeXinputencoding line at the beginning of
each of your include files, rather than \XeTeXdefaultencoding in the main
file.

Philipp