[XeTeX] accented character ṛ within \section{ṛ}

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Apr 26 21:31:36 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 01:16:46PM -0400, Peter Baker wrote:
> On 4/26/10 12:44 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >
> >That is one reason I personally think combining marks + ccmp are better
> >than pre-composed glyphs, the less glyph work the easier to sync fonts.
> >Sure it means a bit extra OpenType work, but this can easily be shared
> >between faces.
> >
> >Regards,
> >  Khaled
> >
> Completely agree. But I get anguished notes from users of MS Word
> and OpenOffice, and Mac apps (where anchor positioning doesn't work,
> though other OpenType support is good) asking for precomposed
> characters. The mainstream apps, unfortunately, don't support
> OpenType well, and until that happens, and end-users figure out how
> to use those features, pre-composed characters will be necessary.

Right, I didn't think about this (I gave up on using office crap long
ago; it have too much discrepancies for me to cope with), but may be
with some python hackary one can build pre-composed glyphs at font
generation time. FF has functions just for this and will use anchor
points, if present, for proper composition.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny