[XeTeX] selecting font size

peter wilson herries.press at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 17 02:42:38 CEST 2010

Sam Putman wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>>>Yes. But I misread Herb's remarks and thought he simply wanted to do away with the numbers altogether. Nevertheless, what I get with just the article option in memoir class is \chapter starts at 1. If you use a section command /before/ a chapter, then you'll probably get a 0.1 for it. Is that the problem?
>>>

>>Howdy,
>>
>>The real article class doesn't have chapters at all; the hierarchy starts at sections.
>>

> Note that this is important behavior: an "article" is supposed to be
> something you can embed, if you choose, as a "chapter" in a "book" and
> everything should automatically work.
>
> Memoir's manual says this about article emulation:
>
> "article    typesetting simulates the article class, but the \chapter
> command is not disabled. Chapters do not start a new page and chapter
> headings are typeset like a section heading. The numbering of figures,
> etc., is continuous and not per chapter. However, a \part command
> still puts its heading on a page by itself."
>
> To be honest, I'm not sure to what purpose this option is provided,
> that is, what the use case is. If writing an article, labeling the
> sections with the \chapter command can only cause problems later, if
> one wants to then treat the article as a chapter.

     The `use case' is that all too often I had started a document as an
article and then had to change it to a report, and of course the other
way, starting as a report and ending as an article. This meant that I
had to keep on changing \section to \chapter, etc., or changing \chapter
to \section, etc.  I designed memoir so that I could/would always use
\chapter and the article option would make it all look like an article
without having to change anything in the body of the document.

> Memoir is great but there's inevitable tradeoffs: by providing more
> options, it's more complex, and one needs to get more used to issuing
> commands like \setsecnumdepth directly to get the behavior desired.
>
> Fortunately the manual is excellent!

Thank you
Peter W.