[XeTeX] verse numbers

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sun Apr 11 15:58:12 CEST 2010

Brian Wilson wrote:
> Thank you. I have all numbers turning grey now. Regarding the setting of the
> font size globally, I have not succeeded. I have tried numbers 8pt to 20pt
> just to see the difference, but all without any changes.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Brian
>
> Again my document.
>
> \documentclass[a5paper,draft]{book}

Hi Brian:

You can try to load the standard font sizes (IIRC: 9--12) at the
\documentclass level:

\documentclass[11pt,a5paper,draft]{book}

That determines the global size to load. With fontspec, that means
whatever you define with \setmainfont will be at 12pt. I think the sizes
are limited to 9 -- 12pt, except for the memoir class which expands this
quite a bit (but might also require some work on your part to determine
the proper baseline skip and relative sizes --- see memman.pdf ).

Then, the relative sizes will be proportioned to the global size (e.g.,
\small, \large, \Large, \LARGE, etc). Once you determine the global size
and load your main font, other fonts can be scaled to that one via fontspec.

It's also possible to use the NFSS2 scheme as Peter suggested:

    \fontsize{9}{15}\selectfont

For example:

Here is some\\
standard text.

\fontsize{9}{15}\selectfont

And here is \\
some other text that looks different.

But that can create problems if you don't know how to space the baseline
skip properly for given font sizes (which I don't know!). And if you use
this mechanism, you will also have to use it to return to whatever your
normal font size and baseline skip are. This might not be as difficult
as I think, but with a long document and font changes, etc., it might
cause some problems. All this, however, you can write into the font
switching commands ....

HTH.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,