[XeTeX] Devanagari Ligature Problem Resolved --- Now Hyphenation

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Wed Sep 30 09:08:14 CEST 2009

Hello.

Le 29 sept. 09 à 22:12, Neal Delmonico a écrit :

> Thanks for the suggestions.  It looks like I am up to date with
> MikTeX (2.8 and I regularly run update).  My gloss-sanskrit.ldf is
> dated 1/23/2009, too.  If the way I have the preamble set up is
> right, then it should work.  But for some reason the no Sanskrit
> hyphenation patterns load.  Maybe I will try TeX Live 2009 and see
> if that solves the problem.

You must tell Polyglossia what is in Sanskrit. This modified version
of the original file works by me (with TeX Live 2008):

%%%%%%%%%%
\documentclass[10pt]{article}

%\usepackage{bidi}

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}

\setmainfont[]{Gentium Basic}

\setdefaultlanguage{english}

\setotherlanguage{sanskrit}

\newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari,Mapping=velthuis-
sanskrit]{Nakula} % this defines a Sanskrit font which Polyglossia
will use in a Sanskrit environment
\newcommand{\dev}[1]{{\begin{sanskrit}\large #1\end{sanskrit}}} % this
says that the text enclosed in \dev{} is in Sanskrit

\textwidth=5cm

\begin{document}

\dev{

\begin{verse}

anyaabhilaa.sitaa"suunya.m j~naanakarmaadyanaav.rtam|\\
aanukuulyena k.r.s.naanu"siilana.m bhaktiruttamaa||

\end{verse}

\noindent asyaartha.h---anyaabhilaa.saj~naanakarmaadirahitaa
"sriik.r.s.namuddi"syaanukulyena kaayavaa"nmanobhiryaavatii kriyaa saa
bhakti.h|| 1||

}

\end{document}

The \textwidth=5cm is only to get more hyphenations. Incidentally, you
don't need to load bidi if your text is in English and Sanskrit.

Best wishes,

Yves