[XeTeX] polyglossia and hebrew: arabic numerals and hyphenation

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sat Sep 26 17:12:26 CEST 2009

Marco wrote:
>> The xunicode package is useful when you try to use LaTeX constructs
>> like \"u instead of Unicode characters. It also can have bad
>> influence when used in an environment with bidi. In that case it's
>> recommended to load bidi before xunicode. This means in your case to
>> load polyglossia before xunicode.
In fact, current versions of bidi will generate a warning if you don't
load it before xunicode.

> language.dat and language.def don't have an hebrew pattern and babel
> does not list it. Does this hyphenation support for hebrew exist at
> all? Am I doing it wrong, very wrong? Is the TL installation
> misconfigured?
I don't believe it exists; I have never seen it.  I am far from an
expert in Hebrew, but my understanding is that hyphenation (to split
words at ends of lines, as used in Latin-script languages) is generally
avoided in high-quality Hebrew printing and is forbidden in biblical
texts, so it's not surprising that there is no set of hyphenation rules
around.

David