[XeTeX] polyglossia and hebrew: arabic numerals and hyphenation

Marco Pessotto marco at angrynerds.com
Fri Sep 25 18:54:23 CEST 2009

Hi!

I'm trying to typeset some hebrew documents, but I'm encountering the
following problems: this is the minimal document.

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt,final]{book}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{bidi}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage[numerals=hebrew]{hebrew}
\setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}

\begin{document}
\setRL
\tableofcontents

\chapter{זאת פיסת טקסט}
זאת פיסת טקסט
זאת פיסת טקסט
\today

\end{document}

when I compile it, it works, even if I get the warning about missing
hyphenation patters. I've searched the internet for hours without any
success. The package hyphen-hebrew doesn't seem to exist on texlive
2008 and 2009 (both are full installations). Where am I doing it wrong?

The other, probably worse problem is that switching to numerals=arabic
fails. Rumors says that hebrew numerals in modern hebrew are something
“weird”.

Package polyglossia Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for`Hebrew'
(polyglossia)                I will use the patterns loaded for\language=0
(polyglossia)                instead on input line 7.

) (./prova.aux) (./prova.toc) [1] [2]
! Use of \@chapter doesn't match its definition.
\protected at write ...le at protect \edef \reserved at a {
                                                  \write
						  #1{#3}}\reserved at a
l.15 \chapter{זאת פיסת טקסט}

?

This happens both on texlive 2008 and 2009-pretest, full install.

Best regards.

--
Marco