[XeTeX] Beamer in Xelatex

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 24 17:31:31 CEST 2009

On 24 Sep 2009, at 14:12, Nazareth Amlesom Kifle wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to used beamer to typeset Tigrinya text. I get an error
> massage that my fonts are not found, but I know I have the font
> files in place because I can typeset articles and other things in
> Xelatex. My problem is just with beamer.
> Do you have an idea of what is causing the problem. The characters
> get printed as ??????

It would help if you provided a (minimal) sample file, but without
that, I'll take a guess....

I think your fonts are being found just fine. (You get messages from
fontspec because there are no corresponding bold and italic faces, but
you can ignore these.)

The problem is that you're using \setmainfont to tell it what font you
want to use. This configures the LaTeX "roman" font. But beamer
defaults to using sans-serif, so it's ignoring your font and
continuing to use Latin Modern Sans, which doesn't have any Ethiopic
characters.

So you have two options: either use fontspec's \setsansfont to specify
a new font for sans-serif, or tell beamer to use the default (normally
serif) face instead by saying \usefonttheme{serif} in your document.