[XeTeX] Problem with subscripted digits, space out

Karljurgen Feuerherm kfeuerherm at wlu.ca
Wed Sep 23 16:58:42 CEST 2009

hi

I need to use the subscripted digits in the range U+2080 through
U+2089. I've patched in a suitable font, and in general it works fine.

However, I have two problems (the first one is more a misfortune than a
problem):

1. Typewriter doesn't seem to support those. Pity... but I can find
another font I suppose (suggestions, anyone?)

2. More significant: when I try to space these out using \so (from
soul), the subscripted digit gets lost.

XeLaTeX input below.

Is there another approach to spacing out I could use, or is there some
parameter setting I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

----
\documentclass[12pt,letterpaper,twoside]{book}

\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
\usepackage{geometry}
\usepackage{soul}

\geometry{letterpaper}
\setromanfont [Ligatures={Common}]{Charis SIL}

\begin{document}
 u\\             % `u' followed by U+0286 (subscript 6)
 \texttt{u}\\ % ditto, typewriter
 \so{u}\\     % ditto, spaced out
\end{document}

Karljürgen G. Feuerherm, PhD
Department of Archaeology and Classical Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University
75 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
Tel. (519) 884-1970 x3193
Fax (519) 883-0991 (ATTN Arch. & Classics)