[XeTeX] Fonts and Snow Leopard

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 19 14:35:09 CEST 2009

For XeTeX users who have run into problems with some of Apple system
fonts on Snow Leopard, now that they are delivered in .ttc format
rather than .dfont, I have a possible solution, and would appreciate
hearing whether it resolves the issue for others (it seems to work ok
in my limited testing).

There is a new version of xdvipdfmx available at http://www.jfkew.plus.com/xdvipdfmx-SL.zip
  that should work correctly with these fonts. Just unzip the archive
and replace your existing xdvipdfmx binary with this one (I'd
recommend archiving or renaming the old version, to make it easy to
revert if necessary.)

This is not a Snow Leopard-specific version, so 10.5 users are welcome
to test it as well; it's important to check that it still works with
older fonts, as well as working with the new 10.6 versions. Note,
however, that this is an Intel-only binary, so PPC users should ignore
it!

I'd appreciate knowing whether this fixes the issue for people, before
committing the change to the repository and pushing it into wider
distribution.

Thanks,