[XeTeX] Combining consonant with elongated r vowel (ऋ) in Devanagari using Mac

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 13 10:11:11 CEST 2009

On 13 Sep 2009, at 05:33, Ravi Parimi wrote:

> Hello ,
>
> I am trying to join the consonant त with the vowel ऋ on my Mac
> running
> 10.5.6 but cannot find the right combination of keystrokes to get the
> desired conjunct form. Combining त and the shorter vowel ृ works
> as
> expected resulting in तृ

I'm not sure what you mean by "join the consonant त with the vowel
ऋ" ...
isn't that exactly what तृ is? The character U+0908 ऋ is
DEVANAGARI LETTER
VOCALIC R, in its full (syllable-initial) form; U+0943 ृ is
DEVANAGARI VOWEL
SIGN VOCALIC R, which is the combining form use on a consonant (such
as त).
What other kind of "joining" are you trying to achieve?

If you're actually looking for तॄ, that would be the consonant त
combined
with U+0960 ॠ. AFAICT, neither the full vowel letter U+0960 nor the
matra
form U+0944 are supported on the Mac Devanagari QWERTY keyboard, so
you'd have
to use the character palette or Hex Input layout to enter them, or
create a
customized keyboard with a tool such as Ukelele to type them more
conveniently.

JK