[XeTeX] xetex newbie

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Sep 3 18:15:37 CEST 2009

Just beginning to fool with xetex on my Slackware 13 Linux
system using texlive.  My objective is to use xetex as a
replacement for pdftex but with broader access to fonts.  So some
initial questions:
1. Where will xetex look for non-TeX fonts on my system?
2. How do I generate a list of the fonts on my system currently
available to xetex (beyond the fonts in texlive of course).
3. Some type 1 fonts in /usr/share/fonts have a mostly numeric
name but a meaningful name in the afm file designated as
/fontname.  I assume the meaningful name is what I need.  For
TTF fonts do I just use the file name?

Please note that I use pdftex and not pdflatex! After I get pdftex
under control I will look into Context and xetex.

Thanks for any/all replies.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"