[XeTeX] Running xelatex on the examples in XeTeX_doc.zip

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Tue Sep 1 23:45:22 CEST 2009

Ravi Parimi wrote:

> Yes, that helps a lot. I'm wasn't sure if I should be using xelatex or
> xetex to process the .tex files under Samples/ (extracted from
> XeTeX_doc.zip). Can I assume the xetex command to be equivalent to the
> latex command, and xelatex equivalent to pdflatex? The difference I'm
> seeing here is that the format/syntax of files fed to these commands
> is different, whereas this isn't true while dealing with latex.
>
> thanks again!

No, actually XeTeX would be the expanded use of plain TeX, whereas
XeLaTeX would correspond to LaTeX. The difference is that with Xe(La)TeX
you have the expanded use of fonts --- and probably a whole lot more I
don't know about. Some of the "syntax" of the source files you've been
looking at are unique to .dtx files used by class/package writers. Take
your favorite text and use a header like this:

\documentclass[9pt,statementpaper]{memoir}
\usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage[variant=us]{english}

\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}

*****

then set whatever font you'd like to use, etc. That should make things a
little less complicated.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma