[XeTeX] OpenType Math kerning (cut-ins)

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 30 11:44:27 CET 2009

Dear Adam

That's interesting, and I think reinforces the case for introducing a
'custom kern' option into XeTex at the point where one loads a font.
Sometimes the unacceptable spacing will be a fault of the font provider
(e.g. collisions between some letters and closing parentheses in Monotype
Baskerville, or overtight apostrophe kerning in Minion Pro), sometimes, as
apparently here, the result of a failure of the typesetting program
correctly to read the information in the font.  But either way, in real life
one just wants to achieve a nice-looking final PDF, and sometimes rather
quickly.  The XeTeX gurus are usually very quick to fix reported bugs, while
one could wait for ever for Monotype or Adobe to bring out an improved
version of the font, so in practice what one wants is a way of fixing the
flaw immediately, pending a more permanent solution.  So, just as one can
say e.g.

:letterspace=1.5 or :mapping=tex-text

when invoking a font, I would like to have the option of, say,

:kern=d:/kerns/mykern.krn

where the file mykern.krn is a user-generated UTF8 file listing kerns (in a
specified simple syntax) that should be added to those that the program has
detected (whether or not with complete success) in the font file itself.
(The entries  would of course overwrite kerning pairs already loaded with
the font but leave in force all the loaded kerning pairs that the user
doesn't want to interfere with.)

My recollection from previous discussions is that this was considered quite
practicable but I guess not high priority - though when the subject comes up
there are usually several people indicating that they would appreciate the
facility.  If an improved version of the font or of the XeTeX engine
eliminated the flaws, one would then simply remove the ':kern=' option from
the font call.

John

:letterspace=1.5