[XeTeX] Tabular spanning columns

Karljurgen Feuerherm kfeuerherm at wlu.ca
Thu Oct 29 21:35:27 CET 2009

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone for the various suggestions.

I've tried them out, and for your reference, can report that neither
supertabular nor longtable were able to cope with the multicol feature,
it seems: the material just ran off the page.

So I tried the Ulrike's list suggestion with Axel's framebox. It
*almost* gives me what I want (see attached). Just two little
corrections I need to make (and one other query):
As you can see, even with \parsep and \itemsep set to 0, I get a gap
between the boxes which I need to reduce to 0 accurately. Any
suggestions as to how I do that?I'm not totally decided on this point,
but you can see from the attached that the framebox expands depending on
the size of the characters; I might like to make it either constant.It
occurs to me that in some cases, the cuneiform within a box might span
multiple lines. Is there a feature to put the box around the
item/paragraph rather than around a selection of characters?I've copied
a section of the code I used below.

Thanks again,

---------------
  \section{Body}
   \begin{multicols}{2}
    \begin{list}{}{\setlength{\itemsep}{0pt}\setlength{\parsep}{0pt}}
     \item[Column 5]\par\par
     \item \makebox[2.5in][c]{\begin{turn}{90}{*1}\end{turn}}
     \item[\begin{turn}{90}{26}\end{turn}]
\framebox[2.5in][l]{\LARGE{<text goes here>}}
     \item[\begin{turn}{90}{27}\end{turn}]
\framebox[2.5in][l]{\LARGE{<text goes here>}}
   \end{list}
  \end{multicols}

Karljürgen G. Feuerherm, PhD
Department of Archaeology and Classical Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University
75 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
Tel. (519) 884-1970 x3193
Fax (519) 883-0991 (ATTN Arch. & Classics)

>>> "Karljurgen Feuerherm" <kfeuerherm at wlu.ca> 26/10/2009 5:24:50 pm

Thanks! I'll test out both options :)

Am 26.10.2009 um 18:09 schrieb Karljurgen Feuerherm:

> Evidently tabular won't wrap across columns, and I'd prefer for
> obvious
> reasons not to have to insert manual breaks.

You could also try longtable. I never tried it in a multi-columnar
environment I'd set all the columns in one longtable, optimised for
a particular paper size...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

Pete

"No man was ever taken to hell by a woman unless he already had a
ticket in his pocket, or at least had been fooling around with
timetables."
Archie Goodwin